Have you ever had a resident reach out because they’re having trouble getting set up or into the Resident Center? We know these situations come up, and we also know these types of calls take time away from your work day. That’s why we’ve created this Resident Center troubleshooting guide to help you and your residents through these instances.
If your residents reach out saying they aren’t able to login there may be a few reasons why:
- Their email is invalid
- They can’t find their welcome email
- Their welcome email expired
- They are not sure where to log in
You sent them a welcome email but the email address you have on file is incorrect, mispelled or different from what they were using
- First double check with your resident that the email address you have on file is correct and is not misspelled
- Next, check to ensure that a welcome email was sent to them. To do this go to Communication > Resident Center settings > Users in Buildium.
- If your resident is under the Invitation Pending tab, your resident has had a welcome email sent to them. From here you are able to resend a welcome email by selecting the check box next to their name, and then clicking Send welcome email at the top.
- If your resident is not under the Invitation pending tab, head to the Not invited tab. If you find your resident here, this means they have not yet been invited to the Resident Center. To invite them simply select the checkbox by their name and click Send welcome email at the top.
They can’t find the welcome email in their inbox
Solution 1: After you have sent a welcome email to your resident, have them check for the following things:
- Look for an email from email@example.com
- Check the junk or spam folder of the inbox
Solution 2: You can also allow your residents to self register themselves, therefore they can create their account on their own time. To enable this capability navigate to
- Communication > Resident Center settings > Settings > Additional settings.
- If you would like to add the login screen to your website, simply head to the Sign in and registration section and then check Allow residents to sign in from your public site
Once these both are enabled and your residents now have the option to register from your website, simply instruct your residents to go to your company’s website and click forgot password under the Resident Login section. From there they can trigger their own new welcome email and set up their account on their own time.
If the resident’s activation link in the welcome email has expired
Solution 1: You can resend the resident a welcome email.
To do this go to Communication > Resident Center settings > Users in Buildium.
Then look for the resident under the Invitation Pending tab. From here you are able to resend a welcome email by selecting the check box next to their name, and then clicking Send welcome email at the top.
Solution 2: Have the resident go to your company website and click forgot password to generate a new welcome email so they can set up their account on their own time.
Where to direct a resident if they can’t remember where to login
Solution 1: If the resident isn’t already doing so, they can download the Resident Center mobile app directly to their phone.
With the mobile app they can:
- Pay rent or set up autopay from anywhere at any time
- Easily submit maintenance requests and attach photos
- Receive notifications from your team on their phone
Solution 2: If you have set up the option for your resident to login to the Resident Center from your website you can provide them with your company website’s URL.
If you do not have your Resident Center login on your company website but would like to add it, you can follow these steps:
- Navigate to Communication > Resident Center settings > Settings > Addition settings.
- If you would like to add the login screen to your website, simply head to the Sign in and registration box and then check Allow residents to sign in from your public site
- If you would like to simple add a login button to your site, you can copy the embeddable login button to your website’s code (we suggest using a website designer’s support for this if you are not familiar with HTML code)
We’ve heard that these are the most frequent questions, but if they’re still having trouble, it might be something else. Feel free to submit a ticket with our support team at any time if you are still having trouble.