There are several questions that may come up before you begin to use Buildium's Text messaging.
1. Can I use Buildium's text messaging feature to text anyone other than tenants and association owners, such as rental owners, vendors or staff members?
At this point in time, text messaging is only available for use with residents. This is something we're working on though, so stay tuned! Also, Buildium loves hearing your feedback on features, so visit our feature request forum and let us know what additions you'd like to see to text messaging.
2. Will residents be able to reply to my text messages?
Yes, once you’ve sent a text message to your resident, they will be able to reply back. Notifications for incoming messages will appear in the conversation bubble at the top right of your screen. You can view the content of incoming messages in the messaging inbox.
As messages are received, you may see up to 99+ notifications, depending on how many come through. This number reflects the total number of unread messages for a single user. This does not refer to total unread threads. This number will update in real time from anywhere in the app.
3. I don't need to see all the notifications, can I mark them all as read?
Yes. To mark all notifications as read, navigate to Communication > Messages. Click the quick menu (the circle with three dots) next to the Messages header, and select Mark all as read.
4. When a resident replies to my text message, does it go to my phone or to Buildium?
When a resident replies to a text from you, it will go directly to Buildium. Since Buildium is using a separate phone number from your own to send the messages, all the content will be stored in Buildium for any staff member using the feature.
5. What phone number does the text come from, and how will the residents know it's me?
We recommend including your company name in all of the SMS messages you send. When a resident opts-in, they will receive an automated message from a phone number that has been assigned to your company. They may choose to store that phone number as a contact, however, it is best practice to include your company name in all of the messages you send simply to avoid confusion.
5. Can I send an SMS text message to a group of residents at once?
At this time, you can only send messages to one tenant at a time.
6. Can I send pictures using Buildium's text messaging feature?
Yes! Buildium's messaging feature supports both pictures and emojis.