Timely communication with prospective tenants throughout the application process is critical to renting a unit quickly and efficiently, and keeping accurate and easily accessible records of communications is equally important. Buildium’s text messaging capabilities make it easy to communicate with your Applicants.
To get started, you’ll need to be sure that your Applicants have opted in to allow text message communication. This process can differ depending on who enters the application details.
- If the Applicant fills out the Buildium online rental application themselves, click here.
- If the Applicant already completed their application and failed to opt-in, or you or someone on your team manually entered the application details into Buildium for the Applicant, click here.
- To view and manage text message opt-in status, click here.
Applicant completes the Buildium rental application and self opts-in
If your Applicant has completed the Buildium rental application on their own, they're given the opportunity to opt into receiving text messages from your management company.
- In order to take advantage of this functionality, you will need to make sure your Rental Application makes use of the Applicant cell phone field (Phone Number field type).
- For more information on customizing your rental application to include the necessary field, click here.
- When the Applicant fills in their rental application, they are prompted to Opt-in to receive text messages from your management company.
- If the Applicant opts in, they will receive a text message at their cell phone number with a 4-digit code. To complete the confirmation, they will need to reply with that 4-digit code.
You manually prompt the Applicant to opt-in to receiving messages
If an Applicant has already completed their rental application but did not opt-in to text messaging at the time, you can send a prompt to opt-in with an automated SMS message.
To send your Applicant an opt-in request:
- Navigate to Communication, then select Messages.
- Click the Text message accounts button.
- On the Text message accounts page, you'll see tabs for Applicants and Tenants who've either already Opted In, have already received an opt-in request and haven't completed it (Invitation pending), haven't yet been invited (Not invited), or those who've previously opted in but have since Opted Out.
- Select the status that best fits the Applicant. If you're not sure, Not Invited is the best place to start.
- Next, check off the applicant(s) you’d like to send a request to (or select all in the top left corner of the grid), and then click Send request at the top right-side of the grid.
- The Applicant(s) should receive a text message similar to the above screenshot, and will need to reply with the 4-digit code to confirm consent to communicate with your management company via text message moving forward.
Managing Tenant Opt-in
Just because you’ve sent an opt-in request to your tenants doesn’t mean they’ll opt in right away. You can view the status of pending opt-in requests by visiting Communications, select Messages, and then click the Text message accounts button on the top-right side.
On the Text message accounts page, you'll see tabs for Applicants and Tenants who've either already Opted In, have already received an opt-in request and haven't completed it (Invitation pending), haven't yet been invited (Not invited), or those who've previously opted in but have since Opted Out.