Additional residents can now be added to an existing Renters Insurance policy after it has already been purchased. This can be done within Buildium when adding a new lease or from the lease summary page or by the resident through the renters insurance section of the Resident Center.
When adding a new lease, to add an additional resident to an existing renters insurance policy within Buildium:
- Navigate to “Rent roll” and click on “Add lease”
- Add your tenants
- Click on “Add policy” and fill in the policy details
- From this screen, you will find a section titled “Other covered tenants”, tenants who you added to the lease and do not have an insurance policy yet can be added by simply clicking on the checkbox next to their name and click save when you're done
On an existing lease, to add an additional resident to an existing renters insurance policy within buildium:
- Navigate to the lease summary page
- Find the renters insurance section
- From here you can view which residents on the lease already have a policy on record, and easily view which residents do not have a policy on record, they will be listed under "uninsured"
- Click on “...” to view or edit the existing renters insurance policy
- From this screen, you will find a section titled "covered tenants", this will show who the tenants are under the policy.
- The remaining tenants on the lease who are not already covered under a separate policy will appear in this section
- To add them to the policy, simply click the checkbox next to their name and click save.
They will now be recorded as covered by this policy in Buildium. The resident will also be able to view the policy information from the renters insurance section of the resident center.
How do residents add people to existing renters insurance policies?
Residents can also choose to add other people to an existing renters insurance policy through the Resident Center. Residents may want to add a spouse or roommate to their policy to get everyone in their unit covered under the same policy and reduce the premium cost per person.
To add an additional roommate or spouse to an existing policy, residents can log into the resident center, and find the renters insurance section under "my account".
From here they can edit their existing policy details and add any other residents who are also on the lease and are not already covered by another policy.