The Buildium Open API (available in the Premium plan) is a powerful, RESTful programming interface that lets you leverage your valuable Buildium data in your own custom applications.
Enabled with read, write and update access, Buildium's Open API allows you to create integrations with your existing applications such as accounting, reporting and CRM systems.
The ability to easily build these integrations greatly increases business flexibility, and ultimately drives your bottom line.
The Buildium Open API provides a set of over 20 powerful resources/endpoints that let you easily retrieve, create and update core data entities in Buildium, in real-time, through standard HTTP requests including:
- Rental Properties
- Rental Units
- Rental Tenants
- Association Units
- Association Ownership Accounts
- Association Owners & Tenants
- GL Accounts
- Bank Accounts
- Lease Ledger
Enabling the Open API
By default, the API is not enabled on Buildium accounts. It must be enabled within your account to both create your API keys and make requests to the API.
NOTE: This process requires your user account to have both the administration role and application settings permissions.
- Log in to your Buildium account from your browser.
- Click the Settings dropdown and select Application Settings.
- Click the API Settings link
- Toggle the Buildium API to "On" and click save
Creating Your API Keys
- Click the Settings dropdown at the top of the screen.
- From the Settings dropdown, select API Keys. The API keys page opens. If you have previously created one or more keys, you'll see them displayed here. Otherwise it will be blank.
- Click the Create API Key button in the upper right to get both your client id and your secret key.
- The Key summary dialog prompts you for a KEY NAME and DESCRIPTION. You'll use both pieces of information to identify which key you are using when making requests. Note that the key name is required, while the description is optional.
- Review your entries and click Next. Your credentials will appear in a pop up window.
IMPORTANT! Carefully copy your key secret before closing this window! This is the ONLY time you will have access to it. If the secret is lost you will need to delete the corresponding API key and create another.
The Buildium Open API Developer Sandbox is a secure environment for users to test integration functionality with their own systems.
To enable the Developer Sandbox:
- Open the Settings menu and click API Keys.
- Click the Manage sandbox button.
- Click the Create sandbox button. A modal will appear.
- Enter the name and email of the person that will be administering the sandbox account. When the sandbox is created an email will be sent to email address submitted that provide a link to the sandbox. After all fields have been filled out, click Create.
- The provisioning process will now execute. It can take 2 - 3 minutes for the sandbox to be created. The page will automatically refresh with the provisioning status. When it completes you will see the sandbox status is Active along with details about the sandbox including the URL to the account. You can browse back to this page at any time if you need to look up the URL to the sandbox.
- Once the sandbox has been created will receive an email at the Check the email inbox of the email you provisioned the sandbox with.
- You are now ready to begin making API requests to your sandbox!
For more information and documentation on the Buildium Open API Please visit the Buildium Open API Developer Portal, which explains every aspect of how to best optimize the Buildium Open API.
Where do you want to take your business next? Email our specialists at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how you can unlock your data through Buildium's open API.