Buildium’s Open API (available in our Premium plan) helps you customize and get the most value out of Buildium. With our Open API, you can easily retrieve your data and build custom integrations with other systems and applications you use for accounting, lead tracking, maintenance, and more. For a detailed guide to using the Open API, visit the Developer Portal.
Enabling the Open API
By default, the API is not enabled on Buildium accounts. It must be enabled within your account to both create your API keys and make requests to the API.
NOTE: This process requires your user account to have both the administration role and application settings permissions.
- Log in to your Buildium account from your browser.
- Click the Settings dropdown and select Application Settings.
- Click the API Settings link
- Toggle the Buildium API to "On" and click save
Creating Your API Keys
- Click the Settings dropdown at the top of the screen.
- From the Settings dropdown, select API Keys. The API keys page opens. If you have previously created one or more keys, you'll see them displayed here. Otherwise it will be blank.
- Click the Create API Key button in the upper right to get both your client id and your secret key.
- The Key summary dialog prompts you for a KEY NAME and DESCRIPTION. You'll use both pieces of information to identify which key you are using when making requests. Note that the key name is required, while the description is optional.
- Review your entries and click Next. Your credentials will appear in a pop up window.
IMPORTANT! Carefully copy your key secret before closing this window! This is the ONLY time you will have access to it. If the secret is lost you will need to delete the corresponding API key and create another.
The Buildium Open API Developer Sandbox is a secure environment for users to test integration functionality with their own systems.
To enable the Developer Sandbox:
- Open the Settings menu and click API Keys.
- Click the Manage sandbox button.
- Click the Create sandbox button. A modal will appear.
- Enter the name and email of the person that will be administering the sandbox account. When the sandbox is created an email will be sent to email address submitted that provide a link to the sandbox. After all fields have been filled out, click Create.
- The provisioning process will now execute. It can take 2 - 3 minutes for the sandbox to be created. The page will automatically refresh with the provisioning status. When it completes you will see the sandbox status is Active along with details about the sandbox including the URL to the account. You can browse back to this page at any time if you need to look up the URL to the sandbox.
- Once the sandbox has been created will receive an email at the Check the email inbox of the email you provisioned the sandbox with.
- You are now ready to begin making API requests to your sandbox!
Where do you want to take your business next? Email our specialists at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how you can unlock your data through Buildium's open API.