Each import file has its own specific format and dependencies, so make sure you're importing the correct file.
If you are still having trouble with a data import file, check the following:
- Have you selected the correct file to import? see "Import data into Buildium"
- Is your file the correct type? If you're importing an Excel file, make sure the file is .xlsx (recommended) or .csv.
- Do any of the fields have commas in them? Commas work to separate fields and can cause issues within a field. For example, if a single memo field says "for Bob, Lynne, and Bailey", it's possible that the import won't work correctly. Consider semi-colons instead: "for Bob; Lynne; and Bailey."
- Are there improper hyperlink formats, such as misspelled email addresses or web addresses?
- Check your email addresses and make sure they conform to the standard “firstname.lastname@example.org” - the most common error will be a missing @ symbol or an incorrect punctuation mark. For example, you might find “sample@provider,com” and the comma causes the error.
- Check your website addresses for the same kinds of errors. A common example is www,websitename.com, where the first “.” is accidentally recorded as “,”.
- Are there extra columns in the file? If so:
- Delete the extra columns
- Copy and paste the data into a new template