Whether you manage properties for a landlord, an investor, or have your own LLC you are managing properties through, you can attach them all to their properties by importing them.
Make sure to import properties and units first. Once properties are imported, you can start adding people.
To import Rental owners:
- Navigate to Settings > Import data.
- Click Upload data file, then choose Rental owners.
- Download and open the excel template from the before you start section of the pop up window.
- There are several required fields, which are indicated by an asterisk:
- Property name
- Rental owner name
- Enter the rental owner’s address, contact information, and rental agreement information, too.
- Each line item should contain a different property.
If you have a rental owner who owns multiple properties, you only need to include the contact information and address on the first line item. You can then just include the name of the rental owner on the following line items, and Buildium will connect that owner with all of the properties selected.
You want to make sure that the owner’s name is spelled exactly the same for each property line, if not, Buildium will create multiple versions of that owner.
- Complete the form and save the rental owner template, then navigate to Settings > Import data.
- Click Upload data file and choose Rental owners.
- In the pop-up window, scroll down to the Upload section. From here, click Upload, then choose the completed template file.
- Once uploaded, scroll to the top of the window and click Save.
Buildium will validate the file, and let you know if there are any errors. You can click on the error message to view a report that indicates exactly what errors occurred so you can go and make any necessary updates to the template.
If all fields have been validated, a button will appear to Import data.
It’s important to know there is NO going back once you’ve hit the “import data” button after validating the files. We do not have the ability to correct any information in bulk once it’s been imported, so you want to double or even triple check the files before you import.
Time Saving Tips
- Multiple properties for one rental owner
- Create a separate record for each property and owner. All properties with a matching rental owner name will be associated with that owner.
- Multiple rental owners for a property
- Create a separate record for each owner and property. All rental owners with a matching property name will be associated with that property.
- Email address formats
- Check your email addresses and make sure they conform to the standard “email@example.com” - the most common error will be a missing @ symbol or an incorrect punctuation mark. For example, you might find “sample@provider,com” and the comma causes the error.