A vendor is any person, business, or entity that offers a service. Adding vendors into Buildium is a necessary step in recording and paying expenses.
To add a vendor:
- Navigate to Maintenance > Vendors.
- Then, click Add vendor.
- Fill out the form. You can choose to enter a company name or personal name, and choose a category to put this vendor in. Vendor categories can be used to filter your vendor list later on.
- Choose a default expense account, and enter contact information for the vendor.
- The 1099-NEC tax filing information section allows you to enter relevant tax information for the vendor, and to capture a specific name and address that will only be used at tax time when you're generating your 1099s through Buildium. If you think you'll need to file a 1099-NEC at the end of the tax year for this vendor, have a W-9 form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) filled out for you now, instead of waiting until year end.
- Complete the form, then click Create vendor.
If you have a list of vendors that you want to enter into Buildium at once, you can import them in bulk. Vendors can also be added into the system in the moment when you record a check.