You can include as many recipients as you like in a single batch.

For example:

  • I paid Hank the Handyman $1,200 last year. I'll send him a 1099-MISC form to report that total to the IRS.
  • My rental owner, Sam Smart, received about $10,000 in rents and other income last year. He is a recipient of a 1099-MISC form.

If you need help gathering the taxpayer ID for your rental owners and vendors, use the W-9 form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification), available at Here is Buildium's W-9.

If you are unable to get the taxpayer ID for one of your recipients, the IRS will still allow you to file a 1099-MISC form. There may be an IRS penalty, unless you can successfully explain why you chose to work with this recipient without a taxpayer ID. In the future, get a W-9 when you begin the relationship.

You'll need to do so outside of Buildium, though. Our product requires a taxpayer ID.

  • If your recipient is not a US citizen, file form 1042-S (Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding) instead. (Buildium does not offer this service.)
  • If your recipient is a US citizen who lives outside of the United States, file the 1099-MISC with the foreign address. Buildium will mail forms to foreign addresses.
  • If your recipient lives in a US territory, such as the Virgin Islands (VI), Puerto Rico (PR), and Guam (GU), select the territory in the country field and then write the abbreviation as the state.
  • If your recipient has a Military/Armed Forces "state" address, AA, AE, or AP, select the country, United States, and the abbreviation as the state.

Recipients have a special section called 1099-MISC tax filing. You can use this section to capture a specific name or address that is only used when filing your 1099s through Buildium.


Article #: 112847

Still have questions?

Create a support ticket anytime, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Submit a support ticket