In Buildium, a check represents any withdrawal from a bank account made to a vendor, owner, or tenant. Checks are usually written to pay for expenses and rental owner draws.
Buildium does provide the option to print the checks you enter into the system, but you can also use the Add check functionality to record check transactions that were hand written or printed from other systems.
- Whenever I receive a bill for work done by a vendor, I pay them by mailing a check.
- I prefer my tenants pay me with a check, rather than cash, so that I can keep track of payments.
- In order to stay on top of my expenses, I write a check immediately upon receiving an invoice.
Add a check
Save time! Access this feature from any screen using the shortcuts menu.
When you add a check, you'll need to indicate the bank account the check was recorded from, the date, and payee. The payee can be a rental owner or a vendor. If the vendor you need to pay has not been added to the system, you will have the option to add the vendor while you're filling out the Add check form.
You'll then need to indicate the property the expense is being written for, the account type, and the amount.
To add a check:
- Navigate to Accounting > Banking.
- Click on the name of bank account where where you want to record the check.
- Click Record check.
- Complete the form.
- Once you've finished filling in information, click Save.
Saving the check will record the expense leaving the selected property's books, and will appear on an income statement, rental owner statement, and reduce the cash balance for the property owner or association on the bank account balance breakdown report.