Most rental owners can be created while you're adding a property into Buildium, but you can create a new owner to add to an existing property, too.
To add a rental owner to an existing property:
- Navigate to Rentals > Rental Owners.
- Then, click Add owner.
- You can choose to enter a company name or personal name, and enter a birth date.
- Under Management agreement , enter the agreement dates. You can choose to receive email notifications regarding management agreement renewals under my settings.
- The 1099-MISC tax filing information section allows you to enter relevant tax information for the rental owner, and to capture a specific name and address that will only be used at tax time when you're generating your 1099s through Buildium.
If you think you'll need to file a 1099-MISC at the end of the tax year for this owner, have a W-9 form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) filled out for you now, instead of waiting until year end.
- Select the properties that belong to the owner under Rental properties owned, then click Create owner.